Aug 8, 2012

First Date

Greg and I met back in kindergarten, Mrs. McCone was our teacher. We also grew up in the same LDS stake. Oh, and we only lived like 3 blocks away from each other for most of our lives.

Greg and I had always known each other, but we never really started talking until we were in 10th grade, in Mrs. Wellings algebra class. Greg sat up one seat forward, and one seat to the right of me in that class. There were a couple of us who would chit-chat before, after, and a little during class (of course). If you were to ask Greg, he'd tell you the only reason we talked was so that I could copy his math homework, which is only partially true; I did borrow his answers, but we talked for fun as well.

Well a few months after school  started they announced that the Sweethearts Dance was coming up in February. It was the hot topic and all the girls were planning on who they would ask and what group they wanted to be in. Luckily, I got  to participate this time, because I would be 16 right before the day of the dance. I'm sure you can guess who I asked, Greg. Big surprise, right? Anyway, I remember asking Greg with a few bags of starbursts and making a sign that said something about look in the candies to see who is bursting to go to Sweethearts with you.. and had my name tucked away into some of the wrappers. I don't remember how he replied, but he said yes.

The quicker that day came, the worse my nerves got. I'm a very anxious girl, and this was my first date.. and I asked him! When I get nervous I can do some really dumb things. For some reason I got all weird around him because I didn't want him, or others, to think I was like in love with him and get teased for it. Crazy, right? It was just a dance. 

Well the awkwardness continued the day of the dance.  I didn't quite have my license so we carpool with another couple to the dance. Because Greg lived so close, we went to his house first. I remember walking up to his door literally shaking because of nerves. His mom opened the door, I knew her from church activities as well as she is who did the crossing on my way to school in elementary school... Anyways, she answered the door and guided me into their front room where Greg, his dad, and his sister, Rhiannon, were waiting. Because it was a formal dance I was supposed to pin on a boutonniere. I say supposed to because I was shaking too bad to be able to do it; luckily his mom stepped in. 

The first event of the night was dinner. We went to a little Italian restaurant with our group. It was good, we had a decent sized group, so there weren't too many awkward silences. Before we left the restaurant me and a few other girls went to "powder our noses". While we were in there I was checking my hair and/or makeup and leaned up on the counter towards the mirror- BIG mistake. There was a bunch of water, and that water hit me just right and I looked as though I had peed my pants/dress. Awesome. I was literally running around in the bathroom trying to get it to dry before we had to leave. 

On the way to the dance the fun continued, there was a slight fender-bender with a friends car. It was bad that we had the accident- but at least it wasn't some stranger, right? Right. FINALLY we were on our way to the dance. Man, I was SO nervous. Greg was too. So with that combination it was a fun, but awkward date.

In my mind, I thought everyone would think we were an "item" now that we went to that dance together... and I liked him. However, I had a funny way of showing it, I avoided him like the plague- and not just in math... the rest of high school! 

But, believe it or not, we did have a second date... just quite a few years later. 


No comments: